Create credit and pay off debt
Select’s editorial team works independently to review financial products and write articles that our readers will find useful. We may receive a commission when you click on links to products from our affiliate partners.
When you’re strapped for cash or have significant credit card debt, a daily fiasco like a broken water heater or a flat tire can be enough to deplete your savings and even maximize your credit card limit. .
Borrowing money shouldn’t necessarily be the first line of defense in such scenarios, but sometimes a personal loan can help get you back on the path to financial stability.
Upgrade of personal loans provide borrowers with a quick and easy application process and approvals. Eligible borrowers with fair to good credit can get rates ranging from 6.94-35.97% APR. Upgrade loans can be used to fund emergency home repairs, major purchases, or debt consolidation, and you can check your rate for free without impacting your credit score before committing.
Select recommends upgrading in part because of the helpful financial literacy tools. When you take out an upgrade loan, the company gives you access to a free credit score simulator to help you visualize the impact of different scenarios and actions on your credit (similar to CreditWise by Capital One), as well as charts that track your credit score over time.
In advance, we review the upgrade, looking at the benefits, fees, loan amounts and length of terms.
Annual percentage rate (APR)
Purpose of the loan
Debt consolidation / refinancing, home renovation, major purchase
2.9% to 8%, deducted from the loan proceeds
Up to $ 10 (with a 15 day grace period)
Upgrade APRs range from 6.94-35.97%. Your interest rate will be determined based on factors such as your credit, income, work experience, and educational background. The total amount borrowed and the length of the term also affect your final APR.
To get the lowest interest rate, you must sign up for automatic payment. If you take a Debt Consolidation Loan You will also get a better APR when you choose to pay your creditors directly (with at least a portion of your loan), rather than receiving a cash deposit in your checking account.
Your loan’s APR may be higher or lower, and your loan offers may not include all of the terms offered by Upgrade. Your actual rate will depend on your credit score, credit history, length of loan, and other factors. Late payments or subsequent fees and charges can increase the cost of your fixed rate loan.
Upgrade loans are quick and easy to obtain, and all funds will arrive in your checking account within one business day of submitting the required documents.
Additionally, Upgrade offers some basic tools to help newbies understand their financial habits and improve their credit score. They include:
- Free credit score simulator to help you visualize the impact of different scenarios and actions on your credit
- Charts that track your trends and your credit health over time, helping you understand how certain financial choices affect your credit score
- Ability to sign up for free credit monitoring and weekly VantageScore updates
All upgraded personal loans have a 2.9% to 8% origination fee, which is deducted directly from your loan proceeds.
Here’s an example of what it might look like:
- Total loan amount: $ 10,000
- Repayment period: 36 month term
- APR: 16.11% APR (12.49% annual interest rate and one-time 5% setup fee)
- Total amount deposited in your bank: $ 9,500
- Monthly payment: $ 343.33
- Total paid over the term of the loan: $ 12,359.97
There are no fees or penalties for prepaying a loan. But if you pay late or miss a payment, you could be hit with a late fee of $ 10 if your payment is not received in full within 15 calendar days of the due date. These late fees are assessed once per late payment.
Loan amounts range from $ 1,000 to $ 50,000, but not all applicants will be eligible for the maximum amount. The amount you qualify for will be determined based on your credit, income, and other information on your loan application.
Upgrade loans have repayment terms of 36 to 60 months.
Upgrade of personal loans provide borrowers with medium to good credit a way to cover major expenses and consolidate debt while providing clients with the ability to learn about their credit with additional tools.
For best results, understand what goes into your credit score and how debt consolidation works before you take out a loan. And before you submit a formal request, check the type of rate you can get on your loan offer on the Upgrade website.
If you have good to excellent credit and are looking to pay less in fees, LightStream offers personal loans with an APR as low as 2.49% for eligible borrowers.
To determine which personal loans are best for consumers with bad credit, Select has analyzed dozens of US personal loans offered by online and physical banks, including major credit unions. Where possible, we’ve chosen loans with no origination or enrollment fees, but we’ve also included options for borrowers with lower credit scores on this list. Some of these options have set-up costs. For loans with no set-up fee, check out our best personal loan list.
When selecting and ranking the best personal loans, we focused on the following features:
- Fixed rate APR: Variable rates can go up and down over the life of your loan. With a fixed rate APR, you lock in an interest rate for the term of the loan, which means your monthly payment does not fluctuate, making it easier to plan your budget.
- Flexible minimum and maximum loan amounts / conditions: Each lender offers several financing options that you can customize based on your monthly budget and the time you need to pay off your loan.
- No prepayment penalty: The lenders on our list do not charge borrowers for prepayment of loans.
- Simplified application process: We looked at whether lenders offer same-day approval decisions and a fast online application process.
- Customer service: Each loan on our list offers customer service available by phone, email or secure online messaging. We have also opted for lenders with an online resource center or advice center to help educate you about the personal loan process and your finances.
- Disbursement of funds: The loans on our list deliver the funds quickly by wire transfer to your checking account or in the form of a paper check. Some lenders (which we have noted) offer the option of paying your creditors directly.
- Autopay discounts: We have noted lenders who reward you for signing up for automatic payment by lowering your APR from 0.25% to 0.5%.
- Creditors payment limits and loan amounts: The above lenders provide loans in a range of sizes, from $ 1,000 to $ 100,000. Each lender advertises their respective payment limits and loan sizes, and a pre-approval process can give you an idea of your interest rate and monthly payment for that amount.
The rates and fee structures advertised for personal loans are subject to fluctuation based on the Fed rate. However, once you agree to your loan agreement, a fixed rate APR will secure your interest rate and the monthly payment will remain constant for the life of the loan. Your APR, monthly payment, and loan amount depend on your credit history and creditworthiness. To take out a loan, many lenders will conduct a rigorous credit investigation and request a full application, which may require proof of income, identity verification, proof of address, and more.
Editorial note: The opinions, analyzes, criticisms or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the editorial staff of Select and have not been reviewed, endorsed or otherwise approved by any third party.